Monday, February 22, 2010

Discipline


I could be going to Italy, but I'm not. I could be going to a conference in the UK, but I'm not. I'm staying put in snowy Stockholm to write.

I did not write anything today. Facebook status-updates and shopping lists don't count. Maybe I'll finish this blog, maybe not.

When I was working full-time and did not have the time to write, I was enthusiatic and inspired. Now I have the time, I am distracted, avoidant and unsure.

I am not a writer. Never have been. I like to write things and I think I'm ok at putting words together but writers write! So I'm not one...yet.

I think that maybe the flip side of creativity is discipline. And that more than a string of two-line paragraphs would be good. Do two lines really make a paragraph?

I'm not going to Italy.

Ciao!

3 comments:

  1. Even one line can make a paragraph, if the words are powerful enough. And from the Weezy school of writing, yes, shopping lists count! Italy could be a wonderful place for inspiration... Love and Hugs. Weezy x x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for being so encouraging, but I still think shopping lists don't count!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think Weezy is right, but what you want is very specific writing. If I knew the secret to that, I would be a successful writer. I think you have the secret, but you have to let yourself write uncritically.

    ReplyDelete