Sunday, May 23, 2010

Lessons from trees



I’m impressed by Swedish trees. I think I have a lot to learn from them.

In two short weeks, the view into the neighbouring apartment building has been obscured by a verdant curtain. The new leaves are an incredibly intense shade of green. Perhaps the chlorophyll is all enthusiastic and keen to do its thing after being redundant through the winter.

The thing I’m impressed by however, is the sheer tenacity of the trees. Well, they’re generous too, unstinting and munificent. And did I mention beautiful?

The average temperature in Stockholm in April, a mere month ago, was 5 degrees. The mean minimum temperature was 1 degree. On April 22 it snowed. Now if I was a tree, I’d still be in shut-down mode. No rising sap and the promise of Spring for me. Any burgeoning buds would be disowned. I’d be braced against the wind chill, silently watching scarf-toting Stockholmers wade through the remnants of one of the coldest winters on record.

But here’s the thing. Trees don’t think like that! They don’t complain, they don’t whinge about expectations, about being ignored or neglected and having to do the same old thing year after year. Reliably, unquestioningly, bountifully, patiently they push out millions of lush new leaves for the enjoyment of whoever happens to nearby and they rarely even get hugged for it.

So next time I’m feeling a little bored by routine, a little jaded, or when I next feel like spitting the dummy or throwing in the towel…I’ll look humbly and respectfully to a Swedish tree.


.

3 comments:

  1. Yes. trees and birds. They just keep doing their stuff. Beautiful and definitely inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those Swedish trees may go green with a rush in the springtime, but they have nothing on the Aussie eucalyptus leaf when it comes to endurance. The eucalyptus leaf is as tough as old boot leather and persists for years. Rain (if it's lucky)hail(maybe)or shine (day after 40 degree day) and even snow (talk to the snow gums on the high plains) they just keep on photosynthesising away. It takes a brave insect with a high tolerance for toxins to munch on a eucalyptus leaf. So while I am happy to honour those deciduous trees for their sudden outbursts of leaf productivity, I still want to salute the good old gum leaf (or stringybark or peppermint or mallee) for its sheer and steady perseverance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Re: ejswa's Aussie eucalypts...revering the equanimity of deciduous trees doesn't imply that hardy gums are any less noble. Neither species seems inclined to complain nor compare!

    ReplyDelete